National Gallery

One of my London bucket list items was to see the National Gallery. I love art. I find it fascinating people were, and are, as talented as they are. The precision, technique, and devotion required to create even a single painting are astounding.  Of all the things to do in London, I think this is my top recommendation. You could spend a whole day in here and not see everything. I spent 4 hours and I kinda rushed through about half of the museum. I feel so blessed to have been able to see masterpieces from Rembrandt, Picasso, Van Gogh, and Da Vinci. I was in awe the whole time. I think I might go back if I have time before the end of my program, just to see the ones I didn't get to see.

I noticed that more than half of the art was religious, or had a religious tone. For some reason, I have never noticed this about classical art before. The National Gallery has art dating back to the 1100's though those pieces are usually older alter pieces that have been preserved from long forgotten churches. I don't think I could count how many "Madonna with child" and "Madonna with God" I saw. The further forward in time you get, the more the religious art has of ancient Greek and Roman gods and mythical elements. It was interesting to see the mix, especially from the pieces that were towards the end of the Renaissance and into the Georgian and Victorian era. These themes are reflected, not just in the art but in the architecture of these time periods as well, with much of the Victorian era being influenced by Romanesque elements.

After visiting the National Gallery I stopped into the National Portrait Gallery. It is on the back end of the National Gallery and if you have time, it is something else I suggest visiting. They have original portraits of much of the nobility and royalty of the UK dating back to the Tudor era, into the modern day. If you ever wondered what Henry VIII looked like as a child, this is a good place to go. For those seriously interested in British History, this is a great place to visit.

London holds so many historical artefacts from around the world in its various museums. Even all the ones that have come out of the UK alone would be enough to fill each of the museums. There is still a sense of greatness among the British people, though it is subtle, it is reflected in the museums and the proud way that historical elements are on display for visitors to see. Britain has been a cultural centre of the world for centuries, and I don't think that that is going to change any time soon.

The front of the National Gallery is large and very intimidating. I would have gotten a picture of it from Trafalgar Square out front but there was a West End Live festival going on, so it was blocked off. 
 Each of the larger halls is filled with a mixture of portraits and large scenes. I was amazed and saddened to see how many people would sit down in the middle of these galleries and stare at their phone screens. So many more would take a picture of a painting, barely look at it, then move onto the next one and do the same. Personally, I prefer to take my time and admire my favourites in a room with my own eyes, and not through a camera lense.

One of the most interesting rooms was filled with pieces that depicted various parts of the story of Joseph of Egypt from the Old Testament. I haven't seen many pieces that depict stories from the Old Testament, as a lot of the religious works I have seen are of moments during Christ's ministry in the New Testament.

Comments

Popular Posts